Joy Childrens Home (JCEPD) was founded in September 2004 by Sarah Wanjiku. She used to work as a teacher and could come across needy children whose parents died of HIV/AIDS and others who had no home. She started by sponsoring one child who was living with an elderly grand mother. She later housed more others who were homeless.Since 2004 Joy has grown humbly and it is now home to 21 orphaned or abandoned children & school to more than one hundred children.
Joy has the noble objective of ensuring the children enjoy a dignified childhood and grow into productive and confident citizens.
- Orphaned children
- Most vulnerable children
- Abandoned children
- Street and homeless children
- Local community
- Children infected and affected by HIV/AIDS
We are managed by a team of dedicated board members. Sarah as the executive director and vision bearer directs and oversees the activities at the orphanage. We are now housing 21 orphaned and vulnerable children. Our house school has a population of 155 pupils, some of who are needy children from the surrounding community.
Our main objectives
To provide holistic care for orphans.
- Quality education
- Medical care
- Guidance & counseling
Current area of operation
We are currently situated in Ruiru, Thika district in Central Province. We have permanent structures build on our own land. This has been made possible by well wishers who have donated money, building materials and even manual labour.
- Housing - The boys and girls require separate sleeping rooms since the one they are using currently is congested.
- Class five - Every year we require an extra class since the children are doing well and therefore promoted to the next class. Currently we have 3 rooms which we have partitioned into six classes i.e baby class, pre-unit, class 1, 2, 3 & 4.
- Toilet block - We are required to build a modern toilet block in relation to the population of the children.
- Staff support - We have six teachers, two house mothers and a gardener who all survive on a monthly upkeep allowance.
- Volunteership - We have had people from Denmark, UK & USA who have come and spend time at the orphanage and assisted in the daily activities. These include; teaching, washing, feeding and playing with the children.
- Consolidated fund - We have eight children in class four who are doing well. After four years time they will be in high school. We need a pool of funds towards their secondary education.
Our prayer is that:- God will provide for the little ones
- Give us partners with whom to network and share the burden of this noble calling.